Coffee

Buy me a coffeeBuy me a coffee

Friday 17 May 2019

“ ... it all started with the Big Bang “

After 12 years and 277 episodes the Big Bang theory aired its final episodes lately. I was a late comer to watching this show but when I started to watch it I fell in love with it.  Back then I was a closeted Nerd. I loved superhero’s and geeky things, I majored in materials science at university and enjoyed sci-fi and Star Trek as well as gaming. But I didn’t want to admit to it as I felt I had to be cool. This show changed all of that for me.



Not long after watching the show I decided to go to my local comic book store to look through the comic book selection. I picked up a few but felt a bit silly as they were part way through stories and I felt like I had to hide the fact that I had bought some. With continuing to watch the show (and lucky for me the timing coincided with the release of DC’s NEW 52, I started my comic book collection. Able to start from issue 1 on a number of lines I would travel to my comic book store every other week to get my issues. This started my love for comic books and my nerdy side came out more. 

I loved watching the show every week because I connected with the characters. I could see myself in them and the actors brought the characters to life and I understood the concepts and the geekiness of the show. No other show spoke to me as much as this did. Even Star Trek became more cool and mainstream with Enterprise having the hot shot captain Jonathon Archer and the release of the JJ Abrams movies. But with Big Bang I could nerd out on shows like Caprica and battlestar galactica and play games like halo because they made it cool. 

I felt myself hoping and wanting a close knit friendship group like on the show, where every week we could have gaming nights and come together to talk geek with takeout food. I still hope for this one day when I’m settled into a career and hopefully able to find love. Even that gives me hope because of the show because (even though it’s fiction and written) I have hope that the nerdy me can find the most beautiful woman who will love me for me. 

I owe a lot to the show and the cast and crew. I wouldn’t be who I am today and the person I will be in the future without it. I once called the show the new friends as its a show that will last forever and you can watch it over and over again. Even now I’m going back to watch every episode in my spare time to have the feelings I felt back then over again and to live through it all again.

A number of guest stars on the show are unfortunately no longer with us, but they will live forever in their legacy and in this show. I look forward to seeing what the cast will go onto and i wish the cast, crew and everyone involved the very best. I hope they can go onto greater things and I will always have them in my heart for making me the man I am today. So thank you the Big Bang theory. Thank you for everything. I will miss you

No comments:

Post a Comment