Coffee

Buy me a coffeeBuy me a coffee

Sunday 16 February 2020

You're My Wonder Wall


So, it’s been a while since I’ve written a blog, almost a month. I found it hard to find inspiration and somebody reddited me saying “maybe if you can’t find inspiration, then maybe blogging isn’t for you” … so yea … I’ve had that from a random, but honestly, I’ve felt that I didn’t want to put out random posts that I wasn’t passionate about and then it being crap … id rather my posts be crap but at least passionate. So here we are.


After my last post, I had a stop over in Manchester, and I’ve just had my second, the weekend just gone (14th Feb to 15th Feb). This one I did on my own, going back to like in 2019 when I did 4 on my own. The first 4 were to see and prove to myself that I could do this and be ok with it. The first was a bit dodgy, but I blame the hotel and the part of the city I was (recently there has been a fair bit of crime around there and its not the most reliable place). The other 3, however, were extremely enjoyable. The only downside came on the last one of 2019 when I was sat in the hotel bar feeling slightly lonely, and I even had a moment of that sat in a restaurant. I wanted to go out to bars to mingle but felt like id be that weirdo trying to talk to people when on his own.

So, 2020’s aim was to go and do the stayovers again (as I really enjoyed them), to try different restaurants, and try to go to some of the bars that I enjoy, and to find some new favourites. Usually when I have a night out (drinking night) in Manchester, we get the train and then have to get the last one home (usually around 10ish) but that’s when most people tend to go out these days, so the stop overs mean I can stay out without having to rush to catch a train. But first, I like to go for some tea (the northern meal that southerners call Dinner). This was the plan, however, fate it seems, had other plans for me.

So, I figured, go out early enough, around 5ish, and then I should easily be able to get in a restaurant, get some food, then id be ok for a few drinks. But alas, this date was valentine’s day, and the host in the restaurant I chose, was more than happy to point this fact out to me, even though the restaurant was PRACTICALLY EMPTY!!


“sorry, we’re fully booked … its valentine’s day”


That was the reply to me when I asked. I looked and saw there were PLENTY of tables, seats and areas free, but I didn’t want to be the basis of a reddit post of asshole customers (although maybe I am with going to a restaurant without booking on valentine’s day) so I took my business elsewhere. I had several different restaurants on my list that I could try, and after I vented my frustrations on twitter, I looked through the list. So, I headed towards the Northern Quarter as a fair few were over in that direction. 

I had a general walk around the area as that was on my list of things to do (it is beautiful there and there are a number of hidden gems around) and I tried to find a restaurant I chose. I looked around and couldn’t find the place. Where I assumed it was had another restaurant there (upon googling when writing this, I think it was literally next door and on the upper level of the building) and whilst looking around, I noticed that most places were full of couples, enjoying romantic meals together. I took the decision to abandon going out for a meal as I for sure, would have felt lonely and probably wouldn’t have got in.

If this was my first disappointment of the day it would have been ok, but it was the 3rd, the first was the restaurant I wanted for dinner (lunch to everyone else) had closed October and I had no idea. I picked another restaurant then and decided to order in at the hotel when I got back. Which is another reason why I love Manchester. 2 of my choices didn’t go as planned but there are TONNES of other choices and fantastic places and activities to do.

As I was in the area, I decided to go to a cocktail bar that I haven’t been in for a few years. The good news, IT WAS PRACTICALLY EMPTY (good for me anyways) and they had the cocktail I got last time. The bar was Apotheca and the cocktail was the nuts and berries. It tastes the same and is as amazing as I remember. This is it;





So, this was cool. I was in bar on my own, felt good, had an amazing cocktail, and I thought to carry on. I was texting my sister too at the time and decided to go to a restaurant I haven’t been in for a while again. She had told me it had been renovated and I thought why not. This was Waxy O’Connor’s in the printworks. I went in, and it was busier than Apotheca but not as rammed as I have seen it before. Got a nice beer in here and again. I felt awesome. So, I went for more.

On my list of things to do is to go to the geek bar, FAB café. So, I had to. I walked through town, passed China town and couldn’t help but take a picture of the beautiful gateway. As I hadn’t eaten as I'd planned, I was kinda buzzed. So, I’m amazed the picture turned out this well;



I got to FAB café at around 730ish. Me being old, thought it would be quite busy. It was a Friday night; people will have finished work and we Brits do enjoy going for a Friday night Pint or 9. Fab is one of the cheaper bars around Manchester and, while it is quite grungy, it has a nice atmosphere. There are model spaceships on the ceiling, a TARDIS in the corner, a Dalek protecting the DJ booth, a couple of arcade machines near the toilets etc. Its geek heaven for drinks and I love it. So, I was surprised it was empty. I couldn’t help but laugh that I was the only one there. My goal to was enjoy being out and try and talk to people, but I LITERALLY couldn’t. IT WAS EPIC. Although next time I shall try to go when busier. I hear the young folk these days go out later, usually when I’m asleep in bed.

All in all, I had a great night. Being valentine’s day there were a few cool displays around Manchester, a heart in lights on the side of a building. Words from a song lit up (wonder wall by Manchester band Oasis) and a beating inflatable heart that lit up (but couldn’t put the video on here … but take my word for it, it was pretty).






 I got back to the room, ordered some amazing food and had an amazing view and it was amazing. I can’t wait until my next stay. Here are my views;






 (Sorry for the bad night shot, its hard to not have reflection and the windows arent spotlessly clean).


Until next time. Thank you for reading.



No comments:

Post a Comment