Coffee

Buy me a coffeeBuy me a coffee

Wednesday 25 March 2020

Corona Update


So, I haven’t been writing many blogs lately. I think with this global pandemic going on, I’ve not felt the urge to. Like, there are more important things I can be doing like looking after my family and maintaining my good mental health. For the most part, I’ve been doing the last part. I’ve kept myself busy, maintained SOME form of exercise and tried to limit my media consumption. I thought today to just give y’all an update as to where I’m at.



Before all of this started, I was watching on with slight worry. I have asthma and work in retail so I really am one of the ones who should worry when a super contagious virus that attacks the lungs is going around. I finished work that week and had a pre-booked holiday (holiday from work, not away) and that came. Things went slightly as normal; however, I did maintain social distancing from people, went on walks and runs and tried my best. Being at risk, my work allowed me to have 12 weeks away from work (10 weeks paid, 2 weeks holiday) so that lifted a weight off my shoulders, as not only am I worried about my health, but my dad has COPD, my mum is over 70 with high blood pressure, and my other brother also has asthma. So, it’s not just a case of me not getting it, but my family also. From here I set myself out tasks to keep me occupied. Try to work out every day, try to learn coding now I have the time, but also to take some relax time so I’m not over worked, stressed and worried.

So, on the 23rd March, the Prime Minister enacted a UK lockdown. Meaning to only go out for essential shopping trips (grocery stores) for work if you’re a key worker, and 1 form of outdoor exercise (run/walk/etc) and closed all non-essential shops (clothing, electronics, gaming etc). With this, my exercise has sort of dropped. I planned runs every day(ish) in the mornings, bodyweight workouts in the afternoon and to be active. With the lockdown, I’ve only been out once for a run. I don’t want to run the risk of being stopped and questioned and I’ve actually been having some lie ins for once. I haven’t done MANY bodyweight workouts, but I have done some. But I’m giving myself a break, these times are unprecedented, and my generation has never experienced anything like it. So, mistakes will be made and it’s a learning experience. The mistakes being in my day to day plan. I’ve always worked in retail and want to get out, so I’ve never been able to work from home and set my own day to day plan. But I like it.

The coding seems to be going well. I’m starting from the beginning and now learning html and CSS. Some parts are logical, some parts are downright annoying (forgetting symbols and operations) but overall, its good. I’m wanting to make a website from it, but I think I’m over stretching my skills here. Maybe further in, and maybe if I go back and actually take notes (rookie mistake Jim, you’ve been out of education too long).

My other vice that’s been keeping me busy lately is Animal Crossing New Horizons. My workmate loves the animal crossing universe and wouldn’t shut up about it, so I decided to buy it to cheer myself up. And MY GOD does it cheer me up. Its so cute and addictive and I’ve played it everyday since the 20th. Even now I’m planning on designing some road that looks like snake way from dragon ball Z so that is going to be hard work and annoying. But it is making me love my Nintendo Switch again. I bought it in 2018 and lost track of playing it but now I use it every day. I love how I can play it on a tv but also take it downstairs and paly it outside or whilst pooping or anywhere. Talk about the perfect staying home vacation … going to play animal crossing in the living room today … or the greenhouse and get some IRL sun.

All of this is also making me think about the little things and about life in general. So, before all this, you’d take things like going to the supermarket out of boredom and the shelves being full for granted. Those little (or big) purchases that oud put off because you don’t need them, hanging out with people, going into shops, for a coffee, cake … all of it.
There is one thing for certain, and that’s after all of this, I'm going to do a HUGE Manchester bender. Go into all the shops, all the restaurants, and just love the city more. I have bought some money vouchers for a few places to keep up the support when they’ve been closed, and I intend on spending them ALL.

So, to sign off.
STAY SAFE
STAY HEALTHY
WASH YOUR HANDS
STAY AT HOME IF YOU CAN
Let’s flatten this curve.


No comments:

Post a Comment