Coffee

Buy me a coffeeBuy me a coffee

Sunday 8 March 2020

"I don't measure America by its achievement but by its potential." - Shirley Chisholm


Hi, my name is James … most people call me Jim though and I have MANY addictions. Whether they’re healthy ones are not is up to Doctors who get paid a lot more than me. I don’t feel they are that bad, they’re not drugs or alcohol or anything but nice ones like coffee, Under Armour workout clothing, notebooks and a country. That country is the good old US of A. Ok, so coffee could be harmful depending on how much I consume, my notebooks addiction means I COULD be buried under them all, but my god, what a burial that would be … give me a pen and I would be happy and the under armour clothing one isn’t too bad. The thought of working out is there, obviously, because I buy the clothing (to be fair, I do actually work out … maybe not as often or hard as maybe I should but I do go for runs and eventually will go back to the gym to do weight/resistance workouts … but knowing me I’ll catch a cold whilst there, and right now, I DON’T want that).


From these addictions, I feel that my one for America has been going the longest. Also, some of the others stem from that one addiction anyways. Maybe not in the ways you think but kinda. I don’t quite remember why the addiction started, but I seem to remember it starting in high school. I think it came from, me watching American TV shows and movies and thinking that I wanted that life. Obviously, the lives displayed on tv aren’t real and the real American dream is a lot more complex than shown and life is harder than on a screen.

I was never good at learning another language in school, but we had to do mandatory French lessons and in my 3rd year (my high school career went from 1998 to 2003 from when I was 11 to 16), the top class of French also picked up German. I kind of enjoyed German as I wasn’t a huge fan of my French teacher. Don’t get me wrong, there was nothing wrong with her as a person, but she was quite strict with some things and it rubbed me up the wrong way. After the 3rd year, we could make choices in classes to go into our exams with, and I could choose German only. Obviously, I went for that as I had that same French teacher for my first 3 years and I just knew that I would have her again and again. Plus, nobody in my family learned German so figured id be the odd one out.

For the vast majority of that first year of only German, my teachers were in and out. A teacher never quite stayed, however in my last year, one did stay, and he was awesome! It was in this class where I realised (as did everyone else) my love for America. EVERY chance I could get I would utter the phrase:


Letzen sommer, bin ich nach America geflogan.


Which translates to (if I got my verbs and congregations correctly … please don’t kill me if it’s wrong, it’s been 17 years):


Last summer, I few to America.


This phrase was even written in my yearbook by that teacher and he said it was an immortal phrase and would always remember me for it. Whether he did or not, I’ve no idea, but it’s nice to hope I’m memorable. So since then I’ve had everyone in my German class knowing I want to go to America. However, I hadn’t been up to that moment, it was always so expensive and had no idea where to go and what to do or anything.

Throughout college, I would often go to Disneyland Paris. Id like to say my years learning French helped but they didn’t. I’m not sure how I managed to get through those visits without speaking the language, but with-it being Disney, most of the cast had to know multiple languages as it was the closest Disney to the UK. While I realise that it’s an ignorant thing to not learn the language, I was young and dumb. So, with these trips, I did get some sense of Americana. It was and it wasn’t. However, university is where it all changed.

As I mentioned before, I was young and dumb. When I got to university, I got a student loan for textbooks, transport and other things. Usually the loan would go towards residence with staying at university in Halls and then later with getting student accommodation with others. However, I decided to commute to uni as I was only like 40 minutes away. This left me with a little excess in cash situation. I also had a part time job so even more money was coming in. With this, I decided to go on a trip to America … my FIRST trip to America. We had booked it in the summer for October as I was told, the week we planned it would be a simple “reading week” which is basically like a week off. However, when I got into learning my schedule and what not, I soon found out this wasn’t true, and I would miss a week of uni.



I still went though. How could I not? The one place I’ve dreamed about going for YEARS was now within my grasp. So HELLS YEA I took that shot. AND I LOVED IT.

To date, I’m on about 8 or 9 or 10 visits to America (1 was to New York and went to New Jersey whilst there and I loved that too). Each time was as good as the last. I usually go to Orlando Florida so I can visit the theme parks and do the shopping. Plus, it’s the sunshine state and really hot and sunny. From this love, the others have developed. Wanting coffee came from American’s ALWAYS having coffee in the movies and on TV so I tried it and LOVED IT (I should make known that I had to find my drink first. It was always bitter to me originally and I started out on cappuccinos with about 4 sweeteners in it until I found caramel macchiatos and from there, I developed a bitter tolerance and now can drink it black, strong and hot … I should also point out that my love came from Starbucks and has developed to more independent coffee shops).

From here, I also discovered Under Armour. This was actually a mistake. I originally thought it was an offshoot of the sunglasses company Oakley (the oval in the middle of the X looks a little like the Oakley ‘o’) so I went into the store when visiting an outlet mall. 


See it kind of does, but also doesnt when you look alot more closesly. Plus i was younger and could only see the sign high in the airas it was on a shop .... IM SORRY



The rest is history. To date, I own maybe 2 items of Nike clothing (for workouts) and the rest is Under armour. I have every item of workout gear you can think of in under armour. Shoes, socks, underwear, compression tights, joggers, compression tops (sleeveless, short and long sleeved and both cold and heat gear), t shirts, hoodies, jumpers, coats, gilets, true wireless headphones, hats, beanies, workout gloves, gloves, sweatbands, gym bags, water bottles, and I even went all out and bought the band, heart rate monitor and scales!!. The one thing I don’t have yet is the sleepwear … but I’m going in June so who knows!! Oh, I also don’t have the sport specific protective equipment like pads, helmets, glasses etc but I don’t need them … I WANT them, but don’t need them. I even just bought a t shirt hoody and another pair of leggings from the Rock’s project rock range. I had to buy a second gym bag for it all so MAYBE that’s becoming an issue. Not for me … but for storage. (I even got around to being able to fit into the kids clothing so MORE options opened to me).

Even now, just thinking about my clothing that I wear when not at work, most of them are American brands. New balance trainers, Abercrombie and fitch jeans, Under Armour underpants, usually Hollister tees but also sometimes an Irish company called Primark, sketchers for my work shoes, etc.
Even more, my tech is all American too!! I developed a love for Apple and my tech I bought in America due to the decent exchange rate and lower sales tax making the items cheaper than I can get here. So, my MacBook, iPad, Apple Watch (even bought iPod nanos when they were a thing) are all American. Literally, from America.

With our TV provider, we are able to get some American sports, so I’ve been watching some college basketball and the major league baseball games, college football etc. I’m loving American sports and love when the NFL comes over to the UK as its shown on terrestrial TV so I can watch (I also have a special site that I can watch games but that’s a new barrel of monkeys).

The only problem I am discovering, with this love of America, is my desire to be there more. I feel like it would be amazing to live over there. I have put thought into looking for work over there, HOWEVER, I always have it in my mind that the healthcare system in America is actually shity. No offence, but it is. That is a huge no for me looking for work over there (and the cost of living and relocation costs would be sky high). But I would love to visit more places. I’ve had a big hankering to go to California lately. Maybe its due to it also appearing to be sunny there and, we in the UK, have had the shittest February imaginable. Like literally, 3 storms one after another. The sunshine lately has made me feel so much better and makes me want to eat healthier and work out more. So obviously moving to California would be a huge plus XD.

I’m here now, 101 days away from going back to America, wishing the days away, making lists of all the shops I want to visit, things I want to look out to buy, dreaming of all the foods I am going to consume, and thinking about everything I need to get done before I have to pack. 



Sorry I was just daydreaming there for 10 minutes (you’ll have to take my word for it).
Have you ever been to America?
If so, where?
Can you recommend any other states/places for me to visit?

More than anything, thank you for reading!!


No comments:

Post a Comment