Coffee

Buy me a coffeeBuy me a coffee

Sunday 5 January 2020

5 Days in and it could all go tits up


So, we’ve arrived … its now 2020 and while we are only 5 days into it, at the time of writing this post, we might be heading towards a third world war … awesome :/ 


However, if a miracle occurs and we don’t enter another war, I hope to be able to achieve some resolutions this year. I have been setting resolutions for the last few years, since around 2012 I believe. I understand a lot of people don’t set them or give them up, but I have been able to stick to some of the ones I’ve set. My trick is that I don’t set absolute ones such as “buy a house” … I realise that things like that are dependant on external factors that can be outside of our control. With this in mind, I would set one such as, work to get a new house, and that covers looking for a place, applying for finance, etc.

This year I have set myself 10 resolutions that require work so aren’t way too easy. I won’t write out all 10 and explain them, as that would bore even me, and I’m doing them.

My resolutions are;


“Read More”


It’s self-explanatory, I achieved my yearly reading goal last year of 12 books. I do love to read. It’s a nice destress activity and I mostly do it the hour before I go to bed, so I don’t have screen time (even though I play my games in bed … oops) and towards the end of last year I treated myself to a kindle paperwhite so I could read books without buying thick books and have to worry about storing them.


“Write a bullet journal and keep up the running journal”


I bought myself a running journal in December as I would like a physical copy of my running data. With writing it down physically rather than just storing it on an app, I feel it would be more visually appealing and I could track my progress better. Part of this resolution is to start running again so I’m hoping the people on the internet, and the fact I don’t want to waste money, will keep me accountable for this. More running = back to my old pace and weight = healthier and happier Jim … hopefully.


“Work to get a new job”


I’ve wanted to leave retail for some time now, and with 2019 and almost becoming redundant, it’s a constant push and big push to get out. Plus, hopefully, a new job means more money and me being able to afford and do more things like move into a new place, get a car, not have to save for things as much as I do, etc. I put to work towards getting a new job as it’s not easy currently to be able to walk into a new job. I’ve been looking since around April last year and I’ve only had 1 interview since then. So, work towards a new job means to apply for jobs, network with recruiters and be seen more but companies, whilst also improving my skills in those areas.


“Bake more from the Ghirardelli Cookbook”


Another self-explanatory one. I bought a chocolate cookbook from America and I want to use it more. I love baking and things so I might as well use the tried and tested recipes and maybe find my new favourite dish. We have  a number of amazing cookbooks that we just don’t utilise and in 2020, I want to change that.

With those few resolutions here, you can see the path I’m going towards. Nice achievable goals that I can do and to be honest, if I don’t achieve them, it won’t be the end of the world. I’m not putting too much pressure on myself to stick to them as I want to be happier this year but to also accomplish things. I’m going to work on myself to try and be the best Jim I can be, and that starts with giving myself a break and not being too hard on myself.

Have you set any resolutions this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment